Monday, April 20, 2009

Recovery: Days 2-4

Well, we are hanging in there! Saturday was o.k. despite the fact that Cannon started off the day by throwing up. He has his ups and downs. Usually 20 minutes or so prior to when he is due pain medication is the down and then an hour or so after he gets pain medicine is the up.

A big THANKS to Grandma Connie and Alex who came over on Sunday to give Russ and I a bit of a break. That was so nice! We've got great family and friends! Sunday he was pretty normal in the a.m. pre-nap, but Cannon was very clingy after his nap and laid on my lap most of the afternoon. Kelsey & Ethan volunteered to lay down with him now and then, but energetic kindergartners don't stay put for very long. At least it allowed me a bathroom break!

As 0f today, Cannon is really not eating or drinking ANYTHING. He might get 8-10 sips from a cup with a straw a day. I'm hoping that by tomorrow he is getting more fluids as I am starting to worry about dehydration. Anyone out there that has tips for how to get some fluids down, let me know. And anything that involves a medicine dropper is definitely not going to work since he associates that with the actual pain medicine, which he does not care for. He's napping as I type this (see below picture) but unfortunately I will have to wake up in about 30 minutes when we have to go pick up Kelsey & Ethan from school. Maybe he'll take another nap this afternoon...wishful thinking? I hope not!
All in all, it's not been a terrible experience (from our perspective not Cannon's)...at least yet. But we are still awaiting the dreaded scabs falling off between day 7 and 10.

2 comments:

JAMIE'S CREW said...

I would say popsicles - you know the ice pop type. There are times when the kids are sick when I throw out the "not too much sugar" rule and let them have all the ice pops they want - just to keep them hydrated.

When is Cannon allowed to go back to Kinder Frogs?

Anonymous said...

Hang in there Cannon! Thanks for the updates, Lisa!